And finally the day arrived... the day we picked Jesse up!
We left in good time at 9.30 am, but I managed to get us lost and we arrived a few minutes late at about 2.45 pm... Pauline and Leigh welcomed us with a lovely lunch, then we went through the sales contract and all the other bits and pieces we received (puppy packs etc.) and we needed to know.
And then it was time. We left just after 4 pm. Jesse whined and howled (and wow, does he have a voice)for about 10 minutes in his crate, when I took him out and put him on my lap. He happily took in the scenary of Hereford, then got tired. I put him back into his crate and he slept through until we stopped at a service station 2 1/2 hours later. He was so settled and content that I didn't bother to set up a toilet with him (puppy pad), when we set off again, he went straight back to sleep in his crate.
Just before 9 pm, we arrived at my parents-in-law's where we stopped briefly. I put a puppy pad in the kitchen, which he used immediately. What a good boy he was. He didn't toilet in the wrong place at all, which was great.
Finally, at 10 pm, we made it home. We were greeted by Dylan, Troy and Flash... and a bit of a chaos curtesy to Flash I am sure (destuffed pillow etc.). Never mind... we put little Jesse in his new big crate in the sitting room so Dylan, Troy and Flash could get used to him in safety. Troy was interested, but didn't make a fuss at all... His face seemed to say "oh no, not another one of these puppy things..." LOL Later on, we took Jesse out on to the sofa and Troy was fine with him.
At around 2 am, we went to bed. I took the travel crate into our bedroom, settled Jesse in. Again, he whined for a couple of minutes, then went to sleep... and we didn't hear another thing from him until I woke him up at 7.15 am in the morning! No sleepless night as expected... Good lad.
The first pictures taken at home on day 1







24th February
All the dogs are settling in and getting used to Jesse. I took Jesse to my training classes in the morning where he met a few (vaccinated) puppies and older dogs. He was happy to see the pups of his own size... LOL He coped extremely well, watched the first class whilst Karen (his godmother!) was looking after him. He then slept through the other two classes in his crate. What a star!
Troy and Dylan as usual with a new dog made sure that Jesse understood that they value their private space. There was the odd grumble and bark... but nothing serious at all and nothing that couldn't be controlled. Of course, we would never leave Jesse unattended with them for even one second. When we go out of the room (upstairs or out), then Jesse goes in his crate for his own safety.
Jesse settled in remarkably well and Dylan, Troy and Flash got used to having him around without major problems. We knew it would take a few days for Dylan and Troy to get used to things and we were quite happy with the progress.
Jesse loves being on the sofa...



Little and large...

25th February
I didn't take Jesse out on the Sunday as I wanted to give him a rest. He had a busy day on the Saturday. Things continued to improved between the dogs... Surprisingly though Flash showed some toy aggression towards Jesse which I had never seen from him before... probably because the other dogs are higher ranking than him. But again, it was nothing that couldn't be controlled and Flash never intended to hurt Jesse in any way. Jesse learnt quickly to not take toys from him.
I also did the first clicker training session with Jesse... and he loved it. He picked up on the priciple very quickly and we free shaped the sit and down without problems at all! He also learnt quickly not to mug for food, but to back off and sit. He seemed to need just a few repetitions to make the connection.
House training was going fine too... of course we took him out every hour or so, and after waking, eating and playing. We had a couple of accidents indoors, but his wees and poos are so small compared to what we are used to, that it really isn't any bother at all.
26th February
The dogs are getting much more comfortable with each other... Crate training is slowly progressing too, but Jesse doesn't like being on his own, so we are taking things slowly.
In the morning, we went to see my friend Marion in the pet shop, where Jesse also met other people. Everyone loves him and wants to take him home... LOL Everyone is also fascinated by his eye lashes... LOL We also went into the bank and a shop where he was welcomed every time.
When I got back a little later, Dylan, Troy and Flash were all really pleased to see him. Troy also started playing again, so he is relaxing and has now fully accepted the little rascal.
He is very laid back with things and doesn't take long at all to relax in new situations. As he is not vaccinated yet, he is of course carried everywhere, which he doesn't seem to mind either...
In the evening, Jesse joined me again for the classes, which he again spent mostly asleep in his crate.
Flash has started trying to play with Jesse... although we have to "coach" him lots as he plays like a lurcher and was way too rough... I was trying to teach him to play with Jesse in the down position.
27th February
Another resting day really. Cornel found a car for me, which I went to look at... and reserved. So I will soon be able to chauffeur the dogs around to shows, training etc. I can't wait. It is a Fiat Punto... exactely the type of car I was looking for. Fab.
Flash is now playing more and more with Jesse and is slowly getting the hang of playing gently, although we still supervise heavily to avoid any accidents. Jesse is never left unattended at all! Troy and also Dylan is now also much happier with Jesse coming close... there is still the odd grumble and Troy is not happy when Jesse tries to climb over his head, but they are definitely getting much more comfortable with him.
I took Jesse training in the evening together with Dylan. I met up with Karen and Willis in the Scout Hall. Dylan was so happy and keen, it was great to see after the training week-end at college where he didn't seem to want to do anything at all. He was very enthusiastic and playful and doing all the exercises well.
Jesse was totally amazing... I did a little clicker training with him... And he picked things up so quickly. He is a real thinker and can put 2 and 2 together correctly and very quickly. Amazing little chap...!
Jesse playing

Flash watching with great interest

Finally tired out

Peaceful... all of the dogs asleep including Jesse

28th February
I took Jesse to the office to meet my work collegues and managers. They all absolutely loved him. Jesse however was unimpressed by everyone's attention and promptly went to sleep... LOL
Flash is now mostly playing very nicely with him... but we will continue to supervise them very closely. Like most lurchers, Flash's favourite move is to grab Jesse's neck (and because he is so small, the neck disappears in Flash's mouth) and he has to learn not to do that. We are getting there and both Flash and Jesse love playing together.
Today, Jesse wanted to join me on the sofa and promptly climbed onto Troy's back (who was lying in front of the sofa) and jumped onto the sofa from there... cheeky little monkey! LOL Troy didn't mind at all... in fact, as long as Jesse doesn't attempt to climb over his face, he is perfectly fine with him now climbing all over him.
1st March
We went to finalise things for my new car today... Jesse accompanied us in his carrying pouch as usual. He seems to love going out, but just like me, he can't wait to walk on his own. He will be getting his first lot of vaccinations tomorrow, 2nd March, so it is only another three weeks to go now.
I took Jesse to training tonight together with Flash. He was a little noisy at time as there was so much going on... particularly when I was doing stuff with Flash. But he did in general very well and everyone there absolutely loved him... and he loved the attention he got too!
Tonight I got the first picture of all of my boys together... husband and four dogs... LOL

Jesse asleep close to Troy

No comments:
Post a Comment