Sunday, 4 August 2013

3rd place AGAIN in Halstead

Today, Jesse and I went a bit further - and alas, it was almost into Suffolk... LOL Not far to Diss from there. :-)

Anyway, we got there nice and early. First I did a Novice training "round" with him, which wasn't really a round, but just about five heelwork set ups. The first couple he did his usual switching off, I got the slightest hand touch from him and ran out of the ring to reward. By the third one he realised that paying attention got him treats and by the fourth one he was totally with me. For the last one I set him up (with the steward giving the normal instructions each time - thanks Jo Hill) and did a couple of steps, ran out and rewarded loads and he was fab.

Then when it was time for Beginners, Jesse was right with me from the start. I also have started doing a couple of static movements and sideways movements with him when setting him up, that seems to get his attention and gets him going. His HOL was great, only lost 1.5 points!!! Best ever I think! The rest was ok too. In the retrieve, we had some bad luck as he found a treat just before he dived onto the dumbbell. He sniffed it out and ate it, then on recommending him, he went to pick the dumbbell up and brought it straight back without any further sniffing. I was really pleased that he didn't lose it completely after that or try to go back and sniff more!
Then in the stays, it hit us again. In the sit stays, the dog next to him (a Border Terrier) got up and walked up to him. Jesse didn't notice him at first, but then did and I could see that he was wrangling with the thoughts of going for the terrier or ignoring him - bless him, he (luckily) chose the latter and turned his head away as far as he could! The steward then led the terrier away and Jesse completed his stay without braking it! How fabulous is that!

And we missed the red one again, but I am super happy with our third place. Jesse's attitude was great today, he had fun, he mastered two difficult situations, what more can I wish for!

 
 Line Up Picture by Jeff Apps
 
Here is the judge's report:
3rd 294 Mrs. V Marney and WEIAMBEA JESSE JAMES Am. C Spn D Lost 5 3/4 Loved this little dog that did a lovely round of heelwork. But then lost marks on retrieve. Well done on this place.

No comments: